Whether you need to register to vote, inquire about residential services, or just stay in the know about civic happenings, trying to figure out who to contact can make you want to pull your hair out.
Here’s a handy guide to the city departments and resources that can help you with whatever you need.
“I want to adopt an animal.”
- Animal Care Services | IACS’s shelter at 2600 S. Harding St. is filled with hundreds of dogs and cats looking for a furr-ever home.
“How do I prepare for a disaster?”
- Metropolitan Emergency Services Agency | Learn how to put together an emergency preparedness kit and stay connected with local response teams.
“What day does my trash get picked up?”
- Find your trash pickup day | Use this directory for information regarding your trash collection day, electronics recycling, leaf disposal, and more.
“I’d like to plan a city festival or parade.”
- Special event permits | The Department of Business and Neighborhood Services will help you plan any event expecting 250+ attendants or requiring a road closure.
“I’d like to start a business.”
- Business licenses | Register your business, pay taxes, and apply for permits and grants.
“I need help finding a place to live.”
- Indianapolis Housing Agency | View + apply for available housing programs and find tenant resources.
“Which parks are the best for ages 6-12?”
- Indy Parks and Recreation | Find hiking trails, splash pads, ice skating rinks, dog parks, or anything else you need to enjoy a day outdoors.
“I’d like to work for the city.”
- Human Resources | View the city’s employment opportunities and applicant resources.
“When is this pothole getting filled?”
- Department of Public Works | Report needed street repairs, learn about upcoming road work and beautification projects, and get real-time updates on snow removal.
“I want to explore Indy’s art scene.”
- Indy Arts Council | Get updates on artist grants and fellowships, citywide creative programs, and public art projects.