Indianapolis Cultural Trail Inc. announced that construction will begin this fall for the expansion of the renowned trail — A Legacy of Gene + Marilyn Glick.
This is the first expansion in the organization’s 10-year history — so we’re walking you through what this means for the trail.
The project is split into 2 major segments:
Indiana Ave./10th St.
- Begin at Walker Legacy Center + continue north to 10th St.
- Will head west on 10th to a planned bridge leading to the 16 Tech district
- Will tie historically + culturally significant destinations that have been disconnected from downtown
- Will bring the trail from New Jersey St. to Capitol Ave.
- Improve access to a stretch that includes Lucas Oil Stadium + the Indiana Convention Center.
- Create a connection between downtown and near south side neighborhoods.
To date, the non-profit has climbed its way to $28.5 million, with only a few miles to go to reach the estimated $30 million for the project.
The trek is expected to begin in November + will take about 20 months to complete.