This Fri., Aug. 19 is National Aviation Day — and coincidentally, the Indianapolis International Airport (IND) is also celebrating its recognition as the Best Airport in North America for the tenth year in a row.
IND is quite literally taking flight — from economic impact to special recognition — so we’re breaking down everything that has contributed to this decade-long accomplishment.
IND by the numbers
These statistics for IND will give you a bird’s eye view of just how bustling the terminal is:
- Number of daily flights: 118
- Countries: 2
- Routes: 44
- Number of airlines: 11
- Flights to IND per year: 43,000+
- On an average day, 10,170 people are starting their work day onsite at IND.
- 22,600 area jobs have a connection to IND, injecting a $2 billion payroll into the economy each year.
- IND brings in an impressive $5.4 billion total in annual economic impact.
- Hoosiers know that Indy is a top host for conventions, and IND plays a role in that success with an average of 145 flights per day from 50 nonstop destinations.
- Because of all of IND’s awards + key accolades, the Indianapolis Airport Authority received $80.8 million in grant money in 2021 — the largest grant award in IND’s history + in the nation.
All this flight talk making you want to travel more? Here are just a few destinations you can travel to and from IND nonstop: