Ditch the car and bus-t a move. Tomorrow, Sept. 22 is Car Free Day — a free international event when people are encouraged to get around town without driving alone in cars + instead ride a train, bus, bicycle, carpool, vanpool, subway, or walk.
There are several benefits to ditching the car: it’s a way to save money, lower your stress, and make central Indiana a cleaner place to live.
Did that make you want to hang up the keys? While Indy may not really have a bustling train or subway system, we do have several options to go car free:
- Take the bus. Plan your trip with IndyGo.
- Ride a bike. Don’t own one? Use Pacers Bikeshare.
- Get your steps in. Travel by foot using the Cultural Trail.
- Hop on a scooter. Heads up, scooters are not permitted on sidewalks or trails. Make sure you know the city’s scooter guidelines.
- Join a carpool. The state encourages carpooling + there are designated parking areas for state employees who carpool and have a carpool hang tag.
- If you’re able to, work from home + skip the commute.
To celebrate Car Free Day, Central Indiana Regional Transportation Authority (CIRTA) is hosting an event featuring live music, vendor booths + free breakfast from Wild Eggs or lunch from Domino’s at the SPARK on Monument Circle. The event will take place from 7 to 9 a.m. and again from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
You can register to take part in Car Free Day to be entered for a chance to win prizes like concert tickets to see P!NK, John Mayer, or Tim McGraw — plus $250 Visa gift cards and more.