The Midway. The wild, fried fare. The summer concerts on the Hoosier Lottery Free Stage. All this could only mean one thing: The Indiana State Fair returns to the fairgrounds from Fri., July 29-Sun., Aug. 21. 🗓️
Since 1852, the fair has attracted thousands of people to the 250-acre fairgrounds to celebrate Indiana agriculture + the end of the summer harvest.
This year marks the fair’s first full-scale edition since 2019, so we want to prep you with everything you need to know before you go. Ride with us. 🎟️
Hours, tickets, parking
- During its three-week run the fair is open Wednesday through Sunday and the gates open at 9 a.m.
- Tickets are available in person and online. Tickets bought in advance are $10 + general admission tickets are $14.
- Pro tip: $3 Thursday is Aug. 4, 11, and 18. Gate admission and midway rides are $3 each + every food stand will have $3 food options.
- Parking is available on and off site — advance parking is $8 and gate parking is $10.
Some big names are headlining the Hoosier Lottery Free Stage, including:
All shows start at 7:30 p.m. and are free with fair admission.
Since Indianapolis is home to the greatest spectacle in racing, it makes sense that this year’s theme is “Fun at the Speed of Summer.” Pro tip: Check out themed exhibits “World of Speed” + “Speed: Science in Motion” to see classic Indiana-made cars and hands-on simulations.
The fried fair fare
As always, expect a lot of fried food along the Midway, as well as various barbequed concoctions.
Pro tip: Run, don’t walk to get a taste of the Mac Diggity Corn Dog. It’s a deep-fried all-beef corn dog topped with mac ‘n cheese and barbeque — find it at Gobble Gobble.
If that doesn’t make you excited, check out our Instagram post dedicated to fair food. We’re sure you’ll see something (hint: The pickle pizza) that’s a big dill.
The fair hosts its fair share of events in the infield that can be seen from the Hoosier Lottery Grandstand.
- Hot Air Balloon Night Glow | Fri., July 29 | 9 p.m. | Free with admission | Watch balloons take off + float through the night sky.
- Band Day | Fri., Aug. 5 | 9 a.m. | $6+ | Listen to marching bands compete in preliminary rounds throughout the day with finals beginning in the evening at 8 p.m.
- Demolition Derby | Sat., Aug. 20-Sun., Aug. 21 | 6 p.m. & 4:30 p.m. | $5 | Cheer on as cars smash + crash.
Final game plan
Of course, no fair is complete without rides + games, and the Indiana State Fair will have plenty of those, too. The fair’s program of events will also help you map out your visit. Whatever you do, give yourself plenty of time to explore it all — and wear comfy shoes. 🎡