It’s officially spring, INDY — which means it’s time for chilling and grilling. Check out these six simple steps from St. Elmo Steak House to step up your grill game this spring.
1. Select a great steak: Choose a steak with a high amount of marbling that is at least an inch thick, like ribeyes, strips, and fillets.
2. Set meat out and season: Pull your steaks out of the fridge 20-25 minutes prior to grilling and season liberally (we recommend St. Elmo Seasoning — or add a kick of heat with St. Elmo Blackened Seasoning). Did you know? Steaks closer to room temperature cook more evenly and create better grill marks.
3. Get the grill hot: Most grills need to preheat for at least 10-15 minutes. A hot grill is necessary to sear in those juices during the first few minutes of grilling. Once the grill is hot, adjust the heat to avoid charring.
4. Only touch the steak four times: Place the steak on the grill at a 45-degree angle. Halfway through grilling the first side, rotate it 45 degrees to create diamond grill marks. Once finished on that side, turn it over and repeat the process.
5. Let it rest: After grilling to your desired temperature, plate the meat and allow it to rest for at least three minutes before serving. This will allow the juices to settle in, resulting in a juicier and tastier steak.
6. Enjoy: Pour your favorite drink and savor every bite. You’re officially a grill master.*