Table of Contents
Pull on those sneakers + grab your sweat towel. We’re talking about ways to get active in Indy this summer — whether you’re a cardio lover, heavy lifter, or meditation master. So, let’s get moving.
For the gym rats
- Pump some iron like a true Hoosier by getting your sweat on in the heart of downtown at Indy City Barbell or Awaken for a workout with a variety of free weights, weight machines + cardio options.
- Southsiders, American Muscle Factory is having its soft opening this Sat., May 28 (with the grand opening on Sat., June 11) — what better way to start your fitness journey than with a brand new, locally-owned gym?
- CrossFit — cult or nah? Either way, we only promote safe sects around here. Join these fitness junkies at a CrossFit class at M4G CrossFit. Their area of devotion: power moves by use of deadlifts, box jumps + pull-up bars.
For the outdoor lovers
- Join Canal Squad at White River State Park on Sat., June 25 from 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. for its first annual event including a raffle with prizes, a clothing launch, music, and brunch at the Oakmont — after their signature workout, of course.
- Get those gains + work on your tan at an outdoor gym such as Glutes 317. For a hardcore group experience, try your muscles at an outdoor boot camp. 🌞
- Move your body outside the Indiana War Memorial with November Project on Wednesdays at 6 a.m. + other locations around the city on Fridays at 6 a.m. (The Friday locations are announced on Thursday via social media.)
For the aqua addicts
- Float your way to fitness with a water aerobics class such as Aqua HIIT + Aqua Zumba at the YMCA for a no-impact workout. Heads up: The YMCA of Greater Indianapolis announced pools will have scheduled availability Monday-Saturday but will be cutting hours on Sunday. 🌊
For the cycling masters
- Jennifer Aniston isn’t the only one who takes spinning classes like they’re M&Ms. Ride to the beat at CycleBar in Traders Point, Fishers, or Carmel for an immersive + intense workout. 🚲
For the running addicts
- Calling all cardio cats. Try out a local run club or walking group for a sense of community. In honor of Memorial Day, join the Honor the Brave 5K Run/Walk or the Grand Run on Mon., May 30. For some competition, compete in the Colts 5K on Sat., Aug. 27 + cross the finish line on the 50-yard line of Lucas Oil Stadium.
- Rub some dirt on it during the Hollis Adams Mud Run at Sertoma Club of East Indianapolis (2316 S. German Church Rd.) on Sat., June 25.
For the slow burn seekers
- Slow down the pace for an intense burn with a yoga sesh on the Circle during Monumental Yoga on Tues., June 21 or join Invoke Studio for a flow at the Ruins at Holliday Park, outside the Indiana War Memorial, or in the Gardens at Newfields
- See how long you can hold tough positions with a barre class at Pure Barre.
For the dance enthusiasts
- Get groovy and get your heartrate up with an upbeat + inclusive Zumba class at several gym + YMCA locations for an aerobic dance workout that feels like one big party. 🎶
- Hoping to learn specific killer dance moves? Jump into the swing of things with swing dance lessons at Fountain Square Theatre every second and fourth Friday.