Kayaking, canoeing + paddle boarding are great ways to explore the Indy area. But before we dive in, let’s talk about paddling safety. Check out this paddling safety guide.
Here are a few local options to get your feet wet:
- Indy Canal | Canal Walk | 5-minute drive | That’s right, you don’t have to leave the city limits for this one. Wheel Fun Rentals offers kayak, gondola rides, and paddle boat and swan boat rentals.
- White River | 17180 River Rd., Noblesville | 30-minute drive | Check out Strawtown Koteewi Park while you enjoy a half- or full-day trip spent kayaking or canoeing.
- Sugar Valley | 1313 IN-47, Marshall | 1-hour drive | Canoe, kayak, or tube through Turkey Run State Park + Shades State Park.
- Blue River | 5 US-150, Fredericksburg | 2-hour drive | Really rough it and spend a day or two rowing down the Blue River + camp afterwards.
Unique events to mark on your calendar:
- Paddle Board Yoga at the Canal | Join the registration lottery for a chance to participate in a free 90-minute paddle board yoga session on the Canal presented by Pure Soul Paddle Board Yoga — 10 lucky registrants will be randomly selected per class.
- Float & Fun in the Sun | Thursday, June 22 | 10 a.m. | White River Canoe Company, 17180 River Rd., Noblesville | $20 | Grab your swimsuits and sunscreen and join Northside MIBOR for this annual float trip down the river.
- White River Report Card Launch | Friday, June 23 | 9-10 a.m. | White River Canoe Company, 20961 SR 37 N., Noblesville | Free | Learn more and celebrate the completion of the White River Report Card with presentations, a canoe race, and refreshments.
- Grand Opening Celebration | Sunday, July 1 | 12-5 p.m. | The Parks Alliance of Indianapolis, 3001 N. White River Parkway Dr. W. | Free | Join Frank’s Livery in celebrating the launch of Indy’s first-ever paddlesports attraction along the banks of the White River with free test floats, live music, food, and drinks.