Feliz Hispanic Heritage Month, Indy. The observance starts Friday, Sept. 15 and runs through Sunday, Oct. 15 — spotlighting the histories, cultures, and contributions of Hispanic Americans with roots in Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, Central + South America.
Sept. 15 coincides with the date when five Latin American countries declared independence from Spain in 1821 — Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras + Nicaragua. Mexican Independence Day is Sept. 16, while Chile’s is Sept. 18.
In Indy, Hispanic Heritage Month events will get rolling Friday + this weekend. Here’s a sampling of the many fiestas around town. Vamos, amigos y amigas.
- Hoosier Latino Celebration Opening | Wednesday, Sept. 13 | 5:30-7:30 p.m. | Eugene and Marilyn Glick Indiana History Center, 450 W. Ohio St. | Free | Kick off the celebrations at the Indiana Historical Society with artist Justin Favela + complimentary food, drinks, and music.
- Hoosier Latino Celebration | Sept. 16-Sept. 30 | 10 a.m.-5 p.m. | Eugene and Marilyn Glick Indiana History Center, 450 W. Ohio St. | Museum admission | Celebrate with the first annual Hoosier Latino Celebration — through music, art, food, and scholarship, visitors will experience a blend of activities to help deepen their understanding of Latino culture + celebrate the role and influence of Latino communities in the state.
- Fall Fiesta for Mexican Independence Day | Saturday, Sept. 16 | 5-11 p.m. | DIGS Garden Center, 1302 Columbia Ave. | Free | Celebrate the kickoff to both Hispanic Heritage Month and the incoming fall season with live music, food, fall crafts, and plants.
- FIESTA Indianapolis 2023 | Saturday, Sept. 16 | 12-8 p.m. | Richard G. Lugar Plaza, 200 E. Washington St., Indianapolis | Free | Enjoy a day of music, dancing, food, children’s activities, a health and wellness fair, and information booths.
- Latino Heritage Celebration | Saturday, Sept. 23 | 12-4 p.m. | Global Village Welcome Center, 4233 Lafayette Rd., Indianapolis | Free | Check out the multicultural exhibit highlighting 27 countries across the Americas through art from Latino and non-Latino artists, artifacts, and interactive displays — plus enjoy music, dance, food, and a health fair.
- Indy Chamber’s Conexión Celebration | Wednesday, Oct. 11 | 4-7 p.m. | Tinker House Events, 1101 E. 16th St., Indianapolis | $15 | Celebrate the histories, cultures, and contributions of the Hispanic business community—all while you connect and network with individuals who can help you grow your business.