Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, popsicle juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us car-zy, but this season brings an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 30-mile getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
Stock up on road trip essentials
Swing by one of these Indy spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
- Nap Snacks, 7010 W. Washington St. | Start your road trip journey with something different — like unique drinks, chips, and candy from around the world.
- The Best Chocolate in Town, The Fashion Mall at Keystone | Cure your sweet tooth cravings with handmade chocolates, dipped pretzels, and Frittle.
- Needler’s Fresh Market, 320 N. New Jersey or Carmel | Grab some drinks, sweets from the bakery, or fresh salads and deli for lunch on the go. And you can also pick up those toiletries you forgot to pack.
- Bonus: Grab a fun road trip game or craft at Silver in the City.
Create a road trip playlist
Check out these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
- Huckleberry Funk, “Give It Time”
- Wife Patrol, “Too Prickly for This World”
- Fern Murphy, “Violet Hours”
- Bonus: Listen to a local podcast like Hidden Indy or Crime Junkie.
- Bonus: Check out the INDYtoday local playlist.
Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or need a last-minute oil change before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
- Downtown Car Care Center, 725 N. Capitol Ave.
- Christian Brothers Automotive, 14807 N. Gray Rd., Westfield
- Discount Tire, Locations across central Indiana
- Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank.
Don’t forget about fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many local pet sitters or pet boarding facilities. Here are a few: